Delegation of Responsibility:
The Chief Executive Officer ("CEO") or his designee shall conduct the application process and the lottery with the oversight of the Board of Trustees.
A completed Charter School application which is timely submitted to the Charter School is required for participation in the lottery.
In accordance with the Charter School's Charter, as granted by the School District of
Philadelphia, and pursuant to Pennsylvania Charter School Law, preferences will be given as follows:
1) All students currently enrolled in the Charter School from the prior school year are exempted from the lottery process.
2) Siblings (defined as children having one common parent and living in the same household) of students enrolled at the Charter School from the prior school year are exempted from the lottery provided there is space available for the grade sought. Siblings must be School District of Philadelphia residents to be eligible for this preference. A sibling lottery will be held if there are more siblings than seats available in any grade.
3) Students who reside in the School District of Philadelphia.
4) Children who reside elsewhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Non-resident students' per pupil allotment must be paid by the district in which the non-resident student resides.
Each application received will be designated a card with the student's name on it, beginning with Kindergarten and proceeding to eighth grade, and will be placed in a machine and shaken. Each card will be individually drawn by a Board Trustee or a Board designee. Each name will be read out loud and entered on a written list, kept by a second Board Trustee or designee, who will record the student's name and "seat number" on this list. Each name drawn will be assigned a sequential number from one until all cards have been drawn for that grade.
Notification of Applicants:
1) The results of the Lottery will be a part of the Board Meeting Minutes and
also entered into the Charter School's database as recorded. In the case of
an applicant who has been assigned to the Wait List as a result of the
sequential number assigned from the drawing, a "W" will be entered into
the database field.
2) The database will generate letters to each individual applicant indicating
their status and guidance for the completion of the admissions process.
All letters will be sent to parents/guardians via first class mail. Two
distinct letters will be created:
a) Congratulations on admission
b) Notification of placement on Wait List
Note: The wait list expires at the end of the school year; the Charter School discards it and the names are not applicable to the next school year lottery.
TO THE EXTENT THAT ANYTHING IN THIS POLICY COULD BE CONSTRUED TO CONFLICT WITH APPLICABLE STATE AND/OR FEDERAL LAWS, THE APPLICABLE STATE AND/OR FEDERAL LAWS CONTROL. THIS POLICY IS NOT INTENDED TO CONFLICT WITH CHARTER REQUIREMENTS.